What is a good teacher?

What is a good teacher? I always ask this at the start of every Stepping Stones course (Sheffield University’s School of Clinical Dentistry Education course for staff) and recently I’ve found myself reflecting on this question.



Having received the ADEE mature educator award recently, and having assessed Higher Education Academy National Teaching Fellow awards, I wondered if this is really what it was all about. Good teachers are surely award winning teachers …….. but actually I’m not sure about this.


Being described as innovative and inspirational is, of course, very nice, but is that what being a good teacher is all about, or is it more about getting the best out of your students? Interestingly enough this is not a criterion for either award, but maybe it should be.



I maintain that a really good teacher meets the needs of their students and I try to alter my teaching style to ensure that happens. For the more inexperienced students I provide the discipline they need to ensure that their patients are safely cared for. Frequently shouldering the burden of good patient care whilst they learn both the technical and the “softer” patient management skills. This can come across as “Bossy” or Scarey” but I believe that students interacting with patients need clear boundaries, not just implicitly demonstrated one, but explicitly stated ones. As a clinical teacher I also need to ensure patient safety.



As the student grows I let them take the responsibility, scaffolding them so that they take on more and more responsibility. Each student is an individual, and so is each patient, so as a teacher I need to be flexible and read each clinical situation, providing the appropriate level of support or patient care. In this way I hope to build student confidence and ability whilst keeping my patients safe and well cared for.



I’m at least as delighted to receive e-mails from students as awards, and one I received recently all but drove me to tears when the student echoed how much she had understood and appreciated my teaching philosophy. She wrote

” You were definitely one of my favourite tutors. For me, your teaching changed over the five years. In second year, you ensured that you were observing every step and that we weren't rushing any treatment. As we progressed, you trusted us more and allowed us to show what we knew.

You taught me a very holistic approach, taking into account everything from the patients' social history, to each part of their treatment plan, rather than just sticking to what we were timetabled for.

The way in which you taught me was very realistic and not just giving the patient high expectations.

I liked that you were strict with me in second year - it helped me stay focused and organised with all clinics, not just the ones with you teaching.

Honestly couldn't have done it without you! Thanks Dr Zijlstra-Shaw!“



Now that’s why I enjoy my job, this is worth at least as much as the ADEE mature Dental Educators award and this, along with comments from a colleague who stated “It’s a privilege to be able to spend time with such an inspirational colleague!” (Thanks Ilona) make me question what it really is to be a good teacher. It’s not about awards, it’s about people, and about getting the best out of both students and colleagues.

Comments

Popular Posts